Friday, January 11, 2008

Masters Of Unlocking?

Earlier this week, Jonnie Whoa Oh and I had another Umbrella Chronicles session. To be honest, I am not sure exactly what we accomplished. This game has a lot of unlockable content, but there is no real way to discern how much there is or what you still have to do or how to unlock anything or how far along you are. It's a bit frustrating.

The main thing we did was play through all the levels we'd already beaten on the Normal difficulty mode, this time on the Easy mode. We were hoping that by making it easier, we'd perform better and thus unlock new stuff. This didn't really happen, and I'm not sure if the game or our performance was to blame.

We did take turns switching off on the one-player scenario modes, which were really fun. The game is way harder without a partner by your side! We unlocked a couple of new ones, so I guess we'll continue having these little get-togethers, which rules!

I suggested that the next game we tackle together should be Ubisoft's Lost game, which comes out next month (I think). As fun as this 2-player co-op gameplay is, it's not as fun as playing a long one-player adventure game together, switching off. As I think I mentioned in an earlier post, one of my favorite all-time video game memories is playing Earthbound together with Jonnie, and a game like Lost will be more likely to emulate that experience than a two-player game, and we're both big Lost fans. Of course, for me, the fact that Jonnie has a 360 and I don't totally sweetens the deal. He seemed receptive to the idea. But, of course, we have a lot more zombie-shooting to do first.

On the solo front, I unlocked a whole new level in Picross that I didn't know existed! I thought I'd completely finished the game, and was replaying some of the puzzles... but I guess I'd timed out on a puzzle during my first run-through because I somehow unlocked a bonus level in Normal mode. And it's fucking awesomely Nintendo-themed. That should make the next few days worth of subway rides slightly more bearable!!

No comments: