Monday, February 25, 2008

It's Been A While! Here's An Update.

Sorry for the lack of posts recently! I don't really have an explanation - it just sort of happened. Rest assured that I HAVE been playing a lot of video games, and I'll briefly cover them here.

CSI: Hard Evidence (Wii) - I bought this game to play with my girlfriend, since she and I are both fans of the CSI TV show (with ironic detachment, of course), and of point-and-click adventure games. The CSI Wii game is surprisingly good. It's not quite the total shovelware you'd think it would be. The cases are actually pretty fun and engaging, especially if you are a fan of the TV show. My major criticism is the game's conspicuous use of the same characters and locations over and over again. Anyway, we beat this game, and at some point in the future, we're probably gonna go back and try to beat it 100%.

Harvey Birdman (Wii) - I actually bought this game, which was a huge mistake. It's a very fun game, but DO NOT BUY IT. Rent it. Borrow it. Just don't buy it. It lasts a total of maybe 3 or 4 hours and has absolutely zero replay value. It holds the honor of being the first Wii game I've sold back to gamestop. Having said that, the game itself is really fun while it lasts. Imagine a simplified and dumbed-down version of Phoenix Wright that is overflowing with Adult Swim humor.

Professor Layton and the Curious Village (DS) - This game is fucking amazing. Highly recommended. It's basically a mixture of a point-and-click adventure game and a book of brain-teasers, and the combination works surprisingly well. The story is fun and engaging, the animation is superb, and the puzzles are excellent. Not only that, but the game has a shitload of replay value in the form of hidden puzzles, bonus features, and even weekly downloadable puzzles. I beat the game, but I still have a hell of a lot of puzzles yet to solve! And I'm already drooling for a sequel!

Phoenix Wright: Trials and Tribulations (DS) - I know the fourth game in the series just came out, but I only just now got my hands on the third one. I am in the midst of the game's second case (the one where the urn gets stolen by the masked theif), and it's classic Phoenix Wright. In fact, it even seems a tad bit more challenging than the first two games, which is great! This is one of my all-time favorite game franchises, so it goes without saying that I'm enjoying the hell out of this game.

Lego Star Wars: The Complete Saga (Wii) - I never played through either of the Lego Star Wars games, but always wanted to, so I pounced all over this Wii version. It's probably the easiest game I've ever played (it's impssible to get a Game Over; if you die, you just respawn in the same spot with full health), but it's just a pure adrenaline rush of FUN. Challenge is not always necessary for fun, and in the case of Lego Star Wars, I think being super easy actually works in its favor. It makes it more rewarding to try different things, and to explore different areas that you might not choose to if you were worried about dying. Anyway, I've just finished the Empire Strikes Back portion of the game, and I'm about to take on Return of the Jedi. Then I'm done with the main game, but you can bet that I'll be revisiting these levels to try to unlock new shit. This game is even more fun and addictive than I thought it would be! I can't wait for Lego Batman!!

In other news, my birthday just passed and it brought some more awesome video game-related shit into my life. First of all, I used an Amazon gift certificate to pre-order the Wii version of Bully. I kind of love the fact that the Wii is sort of acting as a venue for enhanced remakes of the PS2's greatest hits. It allows me to play a lot of games I missed the first time around. I'm very excited about Bully and also Okami. In other birthday news, my girlfriend got me a new Classic Controller to replace the one that MY MOTHER'S DOG ATE THE WEEK BEFORE!!!! She also got me a Wave Bird, which I absolutely NEED for Brawl.

The Lost video game comes out this week and I am probably going to play through it with Jonnie Whoa Oh, so the next entry in this blog will most likely deal with that! See you then!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You identify, people unceasingly enact comments when anything is predicted to come to pass in 2012, like “obviously that is if the age is hush here.” You do effectuate that the Mayans suggest the faction will finish on Dec. 21 (or 23rd)? So in all strong if anything is going to turn up in 2012 there is only the slimmest possibility that the everybody will secure ended before it happens.
[url=http://2012earth.net/astronomical_picture.html
]mayan calendar 2012
[/url] - some truth about 2012